Sunday, September 18, 2005

In Search of...

It just occured to me why I should be a travel writer. I often do my best thinking in the bathroom, and this is no exception.

I should be a travel writer because I am a quester (one driven in pursuit of a noble (or not so noble) quest.) While others far braver have proceeded me, searching for knight's for their round tables or the holy grail or du temps perdu, I go in search of the ultimate...hot dog.

During my trip to Estonia it was the search for the best traditional Estonian meat pastry (yum!) When I was in Ireland, it was the search for the coziest spot of tea. When I spent this summer in Bloomington, it was the search for the greatest Cary Grant film. And when I was recently in New York, it was the search for the best possible French cooking, stateside.

For the most part, it's food that is my fancy. But on my forthcoming journey to England (where I'll really have the chance to perform an exhaustive 10 month search) who knows what I might find. I guarantee it will be something (perhaps the cloudiest day or the dowdiest dowdy.) For the quest is what drives me. It throws me out of bed in the morning and says, "Is that the best you can do?" For in the seemingly pointless search, we come across the surprises that delight each and every one of us when we travel. I wish I could edit a book about the surprise encounters and discoveries that our travels (and quests) have awarded to so many of us.

The thing is, none of my searches ever seem to end.