Sunday, October 16, 2005

Rowing on the Isis



I am trying my hand at rowing for Magdalen this term. It's really a good time so far. It's hard work, but being out on the water feels so great. I always admired rowing for both its gracefulness and the overwhelming spirit of teamwork in the boat. Oxford has a long and rich tradition of rowing and so does Magdalen college. Only fifteen minutes walk away (along the Merton and Christ Church meadows), sits our boathouse.

At the end of sixth week, there is a novice competition called the "Christ Church Regatta." We are all looking forward to it, training in and out of the water a couple times a week. Early morning sessions haven't started yet, but I figure the best approach will be overwhelming enthusiasm. 5 am? Where do I sign up?

(The photograph is a mens team, I'm not sure what college.)