Wednesday, May 03, 2006

May Day

May Day is an institution at Magdalen. Since 1509, school-boy choristers climb up the Magdalen Tower and sing two hymns to welcome the Spring at 6:00 am on May 1. As a student at Magdalen, it's your duty to stay awake all night. My friends decided to throw a party or sorts, in an effort to keep us all awake and it worked more or less. At 12:30 I set off, having just finished an essay and drank a glass of effervescent vitamin C.


1am, still looking respectable with Julie by my side


2am, Max had just been sitting on Cat...


3am, group calisthenics (by myself)


4am, Kammy and Andy working on breakfast, which included homemade bagels!


5:45am, the view to the street from the Founders Tower, the other Magdalen tower that I had snagged a ticket to go up.


5:55am, Kammy and Cat eating one of Andy's bagels, it's raining in this photo.


6am, the singing starts

6:15am, I'm fast asleep