Friday, May 05, 2006

José González

One of the pitfalls of living abroad is that you lose touch with what's going on...in the news, in fashion, and in music. Does anyone there know José González?

There is a great cafe here in Oxford and the first time I heard his album, I walked right up to the bar and asked what it was. On susbsequent trips, the album was playing each time. It is really subtle and entirely guitar driven. It makes me think of Mexico, of love...

Oddly enough, José González is from Gothenburg, Sweden.

He made his real breakthrough (I think, since I am essentially on the other side of the world, or so it feels) when one of this songs ran with a recent Sony advert.

If you want to really do the advert justice, link to it through this website:
http://www.bravia-advert.com/commercial/braviaextcommhigh.html

A great friend Jess surprised me with a ticket to his concert on May Day here in Oxford. He played some new stuff. It was a edgier, more daring in a way. Some may think him a bit monochromatic, but sometimes life calls for something simple, well-crafted and soothing. I like it.

Hear some of his songs